Thursday, August 25, 2011

10 Years Already?


A few weeks ago,  I received a Facebook invitation to my 10-year high school reunion next Memorial Day. I half-heartedly clicked maybe, not wanting to be the only jerk who responded no to an event that’s more than nine months away and less than three hours from my house. It’s not that I don’t like the people I went to high school with nor do I think I'm way too cool for high school reunions, but there have been two things holding me back.

First of all, my fiancé manages a lodge. Lodges are busy Memorial Day weekend. He can’t just nonchalantly pack up and take the weekend off in order to go to my high school reunion. I no longer have family in the area, so it would be pretty tough to take Liam with me. Who would watch him while I’m dancing the night away with my classmates? 

The second reason is pretty pathetic. Life certainly didn't turn out like I expected it to turn out when I walked across that stage nine years ago, and part of me is embarrassed to show up and tell everyone what I've been doing for the past nine years.  I live in a small town in a tiny house with a broken white picket fence. I have two naughty dogs that dig holes in my back yard and chew each others' collars off. I have a baby?!?!

Yet, as I sit here with my dogs below my feet, watching my beautiful baby boy nap, I realize I’m the happiest I’ve been in a long time. I feel like I'm working at a job that's meaningful, and my students make me laugh (most of the time). In my off time, I get to write for fun and spend time with my baby who amazes me each day with the things he’s learned. My dogs brighten my day when they come running up to that broken picket fence with their crazy doggy grins. And I’m proud of my fiancé for his ability to balance a hectic work schedule with being an amazing dad to our son.

My friends and I recently started reading The Elephant's Journey as part of the Kyle Girl Book Club (more on this to come). When I opened the book to start reading, I was greeted with the following quote from the Book of Itineraries: "In the end, we always arrive at the place where we are expected." I started to think about that. Perhaps this place in my life is where I was always expected.

3 comments:

  1. You live a fabulous life with an adorable boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you. My 10 year reunion is October 1st. I think you should be very happy with where you are. I know a lot of people in my class travelled the world, have had all of these crazy experiences, but I have a loving husband, a gorgeous baby boy, I do what I love and I wouldn't trade it for any trip to anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I. Also thought that was a really powerful quote.

    ReplyDelete