Monday, August 15, 2011

Daycare Dilemma

Before I became pregnant, I never really realized how difficult it is to find daycare. I started searching a few months before Liam was born. Everybody I called was either full or not taking babies. Two weeks before I had to go back to work, I desperately started calling people who I had already talked to before. I finally found somebody who was willing to take Liam, but not until mid-September. I had to return to work in mid-June. I still had no idea what I was going to do with him for the three months until that spot opened up. So I called Mae.

"Alright," she said. "I'll take him until you can find somebody else."

"I found somebody who is willing to take him in September," I proceeded nervously. "Will that be too long?"

"Well, we'll have to see how he does," she said.

While I felt a little better knowing I had somebody, I still wasn't completely at ease. It was pretty apparent to me that Mae wasn't all that excited about taking Liam.

The first day I went back to work, I left Liam at home with his daddy. He manages a local resort and can't take weekends off, so he usually takes Mondays or Tuesdays off to stay home with Liam. That night, Liam stayed up all night. As I stayed awake trying to comfort him, the thoughts began to race through my head. "What are you doing? Your kid obviously needs you at home. You can't send him to daycare tomorrow.  She's a complete stranger, and she doesn't even want him."

Slowly, I grew accustomed to taking Liam to Mae's. We soon discovered that he actually slept better when he'd been there all day. It's obvious the other kids like him, too. When I come to pick him up after work, I'm greeted with four-year-olds hollering to let Mae know that "Little One's Mom is here" and telling me, "I got to play with your baby today." When I walk into the living room, I usually find Mae holding him, talking to him, and he's usually cooing right back. "We're just telling fish stories," she says.

I didn't want to give her up. "Remember when we first started bringing Liam here, and you told me..." I started one day.

"Oh, it's okay. We'll keep him," she jumped in before I could even finish my sentence.

While I obviously wish I could stay home and spend more time with my baby, I'm happy to have Mae watching him. It makes returning to work that much easier.


8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found a good daycare provider :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so great! Following you from Toddle Along Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad she can keep him! That must be quite the weight off :)

    Thanks for linking up to Toddle Along Tuesday at Growing Up Geeky and Our Growing Garden!

    I'm your newest follower via GFC :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww that's great! So glad things worked out with Mae.

    Newest follower through GFC, visiting from TAT. Would love a follow back!

    http://growingbabyshelton.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there. I am your newest follower! Cute post. Visiting from tat. Love a follow back at www.the-mommyhood-chronicles.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww! How could anyone not love adorable Liam and want to keep him:) I'm glad it worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you on the difficulty of finding daycare! I don't have to go back to work until Monkey is 12 months and we registered him for daycare when he was 4 months old.

    New follower from TAT.
    http://shrinkingmommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. WEIRD!!! I just read your comment on my blog. This is creepy how similar we are. To add to all the things you listed, I can tell you I even dated a guy that went to SDSU!!! SMALL WORLD!

    I'm totally returning the follow, have a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete