Saturday, August 6, 2011

How this all started


From a very young age, I truly loved both reading and writing. I remember dictating a story about a princess and her donkey to my Mom, an English teacher, when I was three years old. When I started college, it was only natural that I pursue a journalism degree to continue to foster that love of writing. While I loved attending classes through the Department of Journalism and Mass Communication at South Dakota State University, I longed to follow in my Mom's footsteps and become a teacher. For the last five years, I have been teaching. For the first two years, I worked as a middle school language arts teacher, and for the past three years, I have been working with at-risk youth as a career counselor.

Just before the start of my second school year as a teacher, my mom and sister were in a car accident, and my mom suffered from a traumatic brain injury. She is an amazing mom, grandma, and teacher. I often find myself reflecting on her style, hoping that I can come close to the standard she set for me.

I created this blog to share my reflections on motherhood and education, ideas that I've found to be helpful, as well as a few book reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment