Sunday, August 21, 2011

Oh, The Thinks You Can Think!

When I was in elementary school, we faithfully celebrated the birthday of Dr. Seuss with a rendition of The Cat in the Hat or Green Eggs and Ham, and when I became a middle school teacher, I occasionally used Dr. Seuss books like The Butter Battle Book or Oh, The Places You'll Go to teach theme. Sadly, I don't remember reading Oh, The Thinks You Can Think. 

Shortly after Liam was born, my sister came to visit, and she brought Liam this book. On the inside cover, she wrote the well-known Albert Einstein quote, "Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."

My sister is eight years younger than me, but I've always looked up to her. I admire her talent and creativity, and most of all, I admire her amazing imagination. I hope that Liam will one day understand the lesson my sister was trying to teach in giving him this book. I hope that he can think critically and form his own opinions about issues. I hope that he can be creative and imagine things beyond what we currently know and understand. Most importantly, I hope that he dreams big and never allows obstacles to stop him from achieving those dreams.  




2 comments:

  1. Love those books. I can't get over how crazy cute your son is!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get over how much Liam likes to pose for the camera:)

    ReplyDelete