Thursday, September 29, 2011

Blast from the Past: Mom's Favorite

At one point during my childhood, my mom read a book about birth order. She had been a middle child, and after reading the book, she became adamant that she would not allow my brother, the middle child, to feel neglected or forgotten. This led my sister and I to joke that he was the golden child--mom's favorite.


This weekend, when the latest issue of Time arrived in my mailbox, I was excited to see that the cover story was "Why Mom Liked You Best: The Science of Favoritism."

"Yes," I thought, "Finally, science to prove that Blake was Mom's favorite."

I started reading. "Overall, she concluded that 65% of mothers and 70% of fathers exhibited a preference for one child, usually the older one."

"What?" I wondered. "This can't be correct."

Then, just when I was ready to quit reading the article altogether, I stumbled upon it -- the reason my family spent many Saturdays at wrestling tournaments and summer afternoons at motorcycle enduros --"'If you have a child who is different for any reason, especially being the only girl or only boy,' says Salmon, 'that child is going to get extra attention and investment.'" Exactly.


Liam and I are both the oldest. Lord help him. On one hand, I always did pretty well in school and rarely got in trouble. On the other, I was am pretty bossy, can be a perfectionist, and I'm pretty uptight sometimes. I distinctly remember getting Dawn in my mouth in second grade because I called Blake a "little sh*t" when he attempted to change the channel on my Saturday morning cartoons.

The good news for Liam and his future sibling(s) is, I won't be playing favorites. And, don't worry Blake, I love you anyway.

2 comments:

  1. so funny. what a stastic. I always worried about favoring one over the other but it doesn't happen. I remember clearly my sister and I fighting like cats and dogs when we were younger. We have a much better relationship today. I am doing a giveaway for a personalized kids labels today if you want to enter:) Hope you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was an 'oldest' too, and your description fits me exactly!

    ReplyDelete