Sunday, September 4, 2011

It All Started With Mother Teresa

Between March 4, 2008 and July 18, 2009, my friends and I came up with 428 reasons why we love(d) living in Kyle. Reasons number 258-260 are as follows:

258. The Mother Teresa Book Club coming to fruition
259. Annotating my MTBC book (Mother Teresa by Kathryn Spink) with TS, TT, TW, IW, etc.
260. Dreaming about future book clubs even when we are flung to the far corners

Unfortunately, I don't read Amazon product descriptions well, and my Mother Teresa book was a childrens' book (and I still didn't read it), but I've read (almost) every book since. We've done Abraham Lincoln, we've done banned books (Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers), we've done Blink by Malcom Gladwell, and now we're doing The Elephant's Journey by Jose Saramango.

The Elephant's Journey is the kind of book I wish I had more time to devote to. It's only 205 pages long, and as Jenny says it has big words (large font). However, there are definitely parts I wish I had time to reread, but I keep plugging along in an attempt to get done in time to return my copy to the library. Since the Kyle Girls are literally flung to different parts of the country (we're living in three different time zones now), it's difficult to come up with times we can all meet, so we're keeping a Google Doc that we can all add notes to. I haven't contributed as much as I'd like (at all), but it's nice to read other peoples' notes. It makes me feel at ease knowing that the other ladies are also wondering why he isn't capitalizing proper nouns or that they're confused by certain passages, too.

When we do have the time to meet, it's a great way to reconnect with others. We're using the video chat feature on Google+. By no means am I a luddite, but I'm usually a little slow to catch on to new technology. I'm amazed by the chat feature in Google+. It allows multiple users to connect via video chat (we discovered that we needed to pay in order to do this on Skype), and it figures out who's talking and makes them the larger picture.


Not to be left out, Liam and I have also been reading a book about elephants the past few nights. He seems to like Splash! by Flora McDonnell, but only when I say words like splash and splosh in funny voices. It's a pretty short board book that we bought used from Better World Books, and it seems to keep his attention. It doesn't hurt that it's about a baby elephant who goes down to the water hole on a hot day, so there are quite a few opportunities to say words like splash and splosh in funny voices.

2 comments:

  1. You could read him the Elephant Journey passage where Saramago uses "Plof." and the proceeds to explain how useful onomatopoeias are. I think he'd like "plof" in a funny voice too:) I was also amused by this ending to a chapter and thought of all my Language Arts friends teaching these literary devices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. I recently found a few of the comic books I used to teach onomatopoeia. Such good memories. Saramago's right--it's such a good way to describe something in very few words. And apparently babies like it. I just finished that chapter this afternoon (I'm a slow reader). Unfortunately Liam was napping. I may have to share it with him when he wakes up just for good measure.

    ReplyDelete