Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Shame on You, Librarian

On Saturday, Liam and I stopped at the library to pick up a few books. We have a ton of books around the house. However,  I get bored pretty easily, so I thought it would be good to see what our small town library had to offer. I was pretty surprised about the selection, and we chose four books to take home. When we went to exchange them for more this afternoon. I encountered a librarian who stopped to talk to Liam and to let me know how cute he was. I always enjoy being told how cute my kid is, so I smiled and thanked her. As we moved toward the desk to check out our new books she said, "Oh, do you have another child?"

"Um, no," I responded.

"Oh, so you're just reading to him?" she replied.  She seemed so shocked that I would read to my baby.

"Yeah, he likes the Llama Llama books," I said, when what I really wanted to say was, "Seriously, they allow you to be a librarian?"I was completely dumbfounded.

I immediately came home and Googled "benefits of reading to babies" and 32,800,000 articles popped up in 0.19 seconds.

According to this article, "Research shows that the more words a baby is exposed to, the better prepared he is to eventually start reading on his own," among other benefits.

Quite frankly, I don't really care how crazy the librarian thinks I am, I am going to continue reading to Liam. Some of my fondest memories as a kid are of reading with my mom. I wish for the same for Liam. I hope that he continues to love listening to me read, that he learns to love stories, and that he remembers fondly Saturday mornings spent reading Llama Llama Red Pajama.

2 comments:

  1. You keep reading to him as long as he's willing! Not only are you stimulating his growth and development, but you are actively loving him! I wonder how many of the kids we work with were read to? In addition, Liam will remember his mommy time fondly, but so will you! What a lucky baby Liam is to have you for a mommy!

    ReplyDelete