Saturday, September 17, 2011

Shark Trouble!: A Shark Craft Gone Awry and Two Tales of the Sea

Every year, when I was in elementary school, my Grandma would patiently assist me with my sewing project for 4-H. I was not the most attentive child, and we often found ourselves ripping out seams and resewing them.

Earlier this summer I picked up a sewing machine from a garage sale for $3. I'd been looking at this shark hoodie tutorial over at See Kate Sew, and I thought it would be a great place to start.  Perhaps it's because it's been approximately 15 years since I've even attempted to sew anything, or because I was using a sewing machine that was circa 1974, or maybe it's just because I was never actually good at sewing, but the project quickly went south. The idea was super cute, but I gave up on sewing it after breaking my second needle and just hot glued the shark teeth to the gray hoodie.

He does the shark face pretty well. Don't you think?



And, now, for two sea-themed books:


How I Became A Pirate has 108 five-star reviews on Amazon for a reason. It's a great book. And, of course, it has a lot of opportunities for funny voices ("Shiver me timbers!", "landlubber", "scurvy dog", and "aargh"), so Liam likes it. Unfortunately, Liam inherited his mother's attention span, so he gets kind of bored in the middle, but I'm usually able to bring him back in with the voices. (I'm certainly not ready for Broadway, but I am getting pretty good at funny voices, if I do say so myself.)

We picked up Shark Trouble! in the 99 cent bin at a used book store in a nearby town. I thought it was funny that the book had the tag line, "Originally Published as Yummy Yummy! Food for My Tummy!". It was definitely in the 99 cent bin for a reason. It's not destined to become a classic that Liam will read to his children, but he does giggle when I read the chorus, "Yummy, yummy! Food for my tummy!" in my shark voice. Overall, it's not a bad book for 99 cents.
















4 comments:

  1. new follower from the Sunday hop! Can't wait to read more of your blog...SUPER cute pictures :)

    wm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shark hoodie. Stopping by from the Say hi Sunday hop. Hope you stop by for a visit.
    http://grandmabonniesweeclassroom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have ever seen a hoodie that looks like that! Stopping by from the blog hop and now a new follower of your blog thru GFC. I would love a follow back when you get the chance. Thanks so much and have a wonderful day!

    Mary@http://www.mmbearcupoftea.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete