Friday, September 9, 2011

Y3W: Weight Loss Success

I'm ashamed to admit this is the only picture I took of my baby bump, and I only took it under pressure. This is me at 36 weeks pregnant. I was huge. And miserable.  In total, I gained 40 pounds. Ugh. 

For most of my maternity leave I lounged around the house in sweats and pajama pants. But, on June 13, I found myself squeezing into a pair of two-sizes-larger-than-I-normally-wear pants and heading back to work. Before I go any further, I should explain that work entails afternoons filled with teaching teenage girls.

When the girls saw me, they began to pepper me with questions about the baby. 

"How big was he?" 

"What did you name him?" 

"Is he cute?" 

"You still look pregnant."

A silent "Oh, no she didn't" fell over the room.

"Well, you know, that happens to most ladies after they have a baby. It happened to my aunt. She still had that little baby pooch. You're not as big as you were before you left," the girl stammered trying to get herself out of the hole she dug.

I've taught middle and high school-aged students for just over five years now, so I wasn't offended or angry. I've certainly been told worse. In fact, it was the kick in the butt I needed to do what I needed to do to fit back into my pre-pregnancy clothes.

I'm going to brag a little bit now. This week, I was so proud when I was able to wear a pair of jeans that were a size smaller than I wore before I was pregnant. (Let's be honest I could have stood to shed a few pounds before I was pregnant, too.)

Here are a few things that led to my weight loss success:

1) Liam loves being outside, and walking is the perfect way to calm him down.
2) I actually like green tea. I recently read about the benefits of green tea for weight loss. I'm one of the fortunate few who actually enjoys drinking green tea. Plain. Without any sweeteners. This summer I drank iced green tea, and I hope to continue drinking it this winter.
3) I had my baby in May. It meant fresh fruit & veggies were just starting to be in season. I've found that fruit is the best way to fulfill that craving for sweet stuff.
4) Finally, I don't deny myself. If I'm craving Hershey's Drops, I get them. Otherwise, I'll break down and gorge later on.

My biggest fear is this winter. We won't be able to go outside as often as we did this summer, and fresh fruit won't be in season. Do you have any good winter weight loss tips?


Today I'm linking up with Jenni from the Blog for Your Three Words. The idea is to sum up your week in three words. Sorry it took me so many more than that. 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!! I also lost a lot of weight but I dread the winter. I get completely unmotivated. Do you have some exercise you love?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome. I'm back on a healthy living kick and it's always great to hear success stories. I found this BMI calculator today ( http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/ ) and want to make sure I remain well within the "healthy" range.

    ReplyDelete