Monday, October 31, 2011

An Athlete or a Mathlete?

I know that Aaron Rodgers went to Cal. I also know that before he became a Carolina Panther, last year's Heisman Trophy winner, Cam Newton, went to Auburn. Christian Ponder was a Seminole before he became a Viking, and his teammate Percy Harvin was a Gator. I know all of this, not because I love football, but because I live with someone who's addicted to college football. When I hop in the car and find the radio dial turned to ESPN Radio, I can guarantee that Craig was the last person to drive it. He spends Draft Day glued to the NFL Channel the same way I'm glued to the news on Election Night.

When we found out we were having a little boy, Craig couldn't have been more excited. One night, though, Craig shocked me when he said, "Amber, I don't really care if Liam's an athlete or a mathlete; I just want him to be involved in something."While Craig and I couldn't be more different in our early interests, I couldn't have agreed with that statement more.

I played sports when I was in elementary and middle school, but I was only involved for the social aspect. I would much rather cheer for my friends from the bench than step up to the plate when the bases were loaded or shoot the game-winning free throw. (Not that I was ever trusted to do either of those things.) I felt far more comfortable being involved in things like Odyssey of the Mind, National History Day, speech, and drama. Yet, if Liam chooses soccer or football or baseball over Destination Imagination, I'll support him no matter what. Being involved in all of those activities taught me a lot about working with others, discovering my strengths, and using those strengths to help our teams succeed.

Don't get me wrong. It's definitely my hope that I raise a well-rounded child. It's my hope that he'll be able to explore a number of things. I hope he finds something he's passionate about. I hope he learns to work well with others. Most of all, I hope he learns a lot about himself.

1 comment:

  1. So true! I have a feeling Carina will end up a Math-lete, just like her Momma lol

    ReplyDelete