Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Black and White and Read All Over

No, I'm not going to be reviewing the newspaper today, but I am going to talk about a couple of black and white books that Liam and I like to read.

I had shamefully little knowledge about newborn development before I got pregnant with Liam. When I first read that the high contrast of black and white images are best for baby's vision development, I immediately ordered Tana Hoban's Black on White, and shortly before Liam was born, I ordered Baby Animals: Black and White.

From the time Liam was very young, I noticed his newborn googly eyes trying to focus on the images in these books. Personally, I prefer the Baby Animals book over Black on White. I found myself wondering what some of the images in Hoban's book were supposed to be. Is that a girl or a doll? A cookie or a cracker? At two weeks old, Liam didn't really seem to care that I didn't know what the images were. He just liked looking at the pictures and listening to my voice.

I recently picked up Look Look!, another black and white book by Peter Linenthal.  It has words and splashes of red. I also liked that it had tips for sharing books with your baby inside the front cover, and it mixes both black on white and white on black images. Look Look! is by far my favorite of our three black and white books.

No comments:

Post a Comment