Monday, November 14, 2011

For the Love of {Picture} Books

Up until I was three years old, I lived two houses down from our local Carnegie Library and after that, I always lived within bike-riding distance from the library. I always loved visiting the library, and I am fairly certain that I checked out  the book Geraldine's Blanket at least 10 times between 1988 and 1990. I, too, loved my blanket and enjoyed reading about how Geraldine was able to turn her blanket into a dress for her doll. November is Picture Book Month. Since picture books had such a lasting impact on my childhood, I thought I'd share a few of Liam's (and my) favorite picture books.


  • All the Places to Love--My mom first bought this book because she thought the little boy and girl on the front cover reminded her of my younger brother and sister. This is such a beautiful story about a little boy who teaches his baby sister about all the places to love. Whether or not Liam grows up to have a baby sister, I hope that he, too, learns to cherish the place where he's grown up. 
  • Song and Dance Man-- I didn't have a grandfather who danced on a vaudeville stage. But, I did have a great-grandfather who shared stories about the "Dirty Thirties" and the Great Depression, and I always loved listening to his stories. Song and Dance Man was one of my favorite books as a kid for that reason. I can't wait until Liam's old enough for me to share this book with him, and I hope that he always cherishes the stories my grandparents tell him.
    • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? -- From the time he was very young, Liam loved the bright images and rhythmical text of this book. When my five-year-old cousin realized that Liam has a Brown Bear, Brown Bear backpack, she started reciting the book from memory, which makes me realize that he'll love this book for many years.
    •  Llama Llama Red Pajama-- Liam loves the rhythmical text of the Llama Llama books. He'll giggle and get excited as I read them to him. I know Liam is going to love this book for many years.
      What about you? What are your kids' favorite picture books? Any suggestions?

      3 comments:

      1. He is adorable:)

        Following from the Mingle Monday Blog Hop. Would love a follow back:)

        http://opalstevens.com

        ReplyDelete
      2. We love Llama Llama Red Pajama too! One of Evie's other favorites is "Mr. Brown can moo. Can you?" by Dr. Seuss. I think I could recite that whole book...lol!

        ReplyDelete
      3. Hayley loves all books but she is older than Zane. I just started z on some picture books. Thanks for the suggestions.

        ReplyDelete