Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Letting Kids Be Kids

This morning, as I was browsing articles in the New York Times Education section, I stumbled upon this article. The article starts with a description of a block building workshop led by a so-called "block consultant."

"A 'block consultant.' Seriously? That's so f-ing ridiculous." I thought to myself as I continued to browse through the article.

Then, it struck me. Who am I to get all judgy and self-righteous? Just this weekend, I tried to "teach" Liam sequencing with his ring stacker. Liam was far more interested in chewing on the rings than learning about sequencing.

Why is it so hard for us to let kids be kids? Poor Liam's just under seven months old. Here I am worried about teaching him sequencing with his ring stacker, when in all actuality he'd probably learn a lot more if I would just let him figure it out on his own. Liam's a pretty smart kid. (Of course, I'm slightly biased.) He's innately curious, and I love that about him. He'll learn new things, if I allow him the freedom to explore and discover on his own. Sometimes, I need to remember that.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this post. (Block consultant -- ha!) I vacillate so much between wanting L to stay little and wanting her to grow up and be able to do more things. We're starting solids this week, though, and it is making me a little teary-eyed (and not just for fear of the diapers I'll be changing!)...she's not my tiny little baby anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post and I TOTALLY know what you mean. Ever since Ethan was 2 months old (he's now 5 months), everyone would ask me when we planned on starting solids. My husband's grandmother was appalled when we didn't start solids at 3 months! I get all frustrated at people, but then I find myself trying to teach him puzzles or colors or numbers and realize it's essentially all the same thing.

    ReplyDelete