Monday, November 28, 2011

Meet Amber: An American Girl

As we were cleaning out our extra bedroom/office this weekend in preparation for a few renovations, I discovered this stack of books nestled in a box that I had never unpacked after we moved into our current house.



I'm not sure what it was, but I just couldn't bring myself to part with these books (perhaps there is some truth to Craig's accusations that I am a hoarder). There's a part of me who hoped that I would one day have a daughter to share these books with. And, who knows, maybe one day I will.

More than anything, these books played such a huge part in my life for so many years. It all started when I was in second grade. My mom bought one or two of the books for me at a book fair at our school. I was hooked. I would get one or two at a time. Once I was old enough to quit reading them, I had the entire collection. I loved reading about Kirsten's traditional Swedish Christmas and Molly's Victory Garden, and one year for Christmas my parents got me Kirsten's amber necklace.

I was saddened when, in the process of researching for this post, I discovered that the Kirsten dolls had been discontinued. I felt better when I realized that her books hadn't been discontinued. I hope that girls of future generations can appreciate stories from that time period and of the others that have since been added. I hope that they're as intrigued by those stories as I was. I hope that they're able to look back nearly 20 years later and appreciate the role those books and others played in their lives.

***

Ooh, I also just got exciting news. I was accepted to the Top Mommy Blogs and Top Baby Blogs Directories. If you have a chance, can you spare a click to get me past #0. (I've never really been very competitive, but being #0 doesn't make a girl feel all that hot.)

Vote For Us @ Top Mommy Blogs Vote For Us @ TopBaby Blogs! The Best Baby Blog Directory

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED the American Girls books. I think I'm going to start looking for them for my 3 year old. I'm sure in a few years she'll love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I loved the American Girls books too! And the dolls! I clicked on both banners:)

    ReplyDelete