Friday, December 30, 2011

I am the Worst Book Club Member Ever and Other Thoughts on Nudging Myself to Be Healthier and Happier in 2012

I am a proud member of the Kyle Girl Long Distance Book Club, but I haven't been the best member of the book club over the course of the past few months. In fact, I started to wonder if I should just join this book club instead:


{source}
When we opted to read Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness, I faithfully went to the library and ordered it via interlibrary loan. But alas, when it was time to return the book, I had only made it through the Introduction. So, my friend Jenny sent me the audio book. {Yes, this is me hanging my head in shame.} To be fair, the book was actually pretty interesting, especially if you're interested in policy making and psychology, which I usually am. But between work, baby, and wedding planning I just didn't find the time to get through the whole thing.

Anyway, at the end of book club this week, as part of the small talk that usually consumes most of book club, we started talking about New Year's Resolutions. It wasn't until book club had ended that I started thinking about ways that I could nudge myself into being healthier and happier in 2012.

I had recently read an article (I can't remember where, so it's not cited here) about having a jar and paying yourself a dollar for each time you work out. At first, I thought it was a little silly. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized this would be a great way to "nudge" myself to make good decisions.  As I see the cash grow, I'll be more motivated to do things that will make me healthier and happier.

***

On a semi-related note, Jillian Michaels is another factor that's going to nudge me to work out. My friend Shannon sent me the 30 Day Shred (Although I like to call it the 30 Day Burn, because oh my goodness, it definitely makes my thighs burn). I love that it's only 20 minutes long, and just when I start to think "I. can't. do. this. any. more." She says, "Alright, two more." Amazing.

3 comments:

  1. Our copy of 30 Day Shred arrives today... I am scared as heck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard great things about the 30-day shred. I didn't know that it was only 20 minutes though...that my be the selling point for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always found Day 3 the worst...

    ReplyDelete