Tuesday, December 6, 2011

On Marriage

Today my wedding registry reminded me that my wedding is just 40 days away. I can't believe it's happening this quickly. In fact, I can't really believe that it's happening at all. In the past, when Craig and I discussed marriage, it would always boil down to the fact that we'd been together for years, we already owned a house and a car, and after all, in the words of Joni Mitchell, "we don't need no piece of paper from the city hall keeping us tied and true."

According to a recent Pew Research Center study, Craig and I aren't alone. 52 percent of respondents reported that they felt being a good parent was "one of the most important" things in life. Meanwhile, only  22 percent reported the same thing about marriage. Shortly after I found out I was pregnant with Liam, though, our opinions began to change. And, shortly after Liam was born, Craig finally put that ring on my finger after helping me clean and rearrange our bedroom. (So romantic...)

Quite frankly, I'm glad we waited until after Liam was born. While I had that brief period of guilt shortly after I found out I was pregnant, worrying about the fact that I was doing this in the wrong order, I don't regret waiting. It's really made me consider what's really important--having a day we can share and enjoy with our closest friends and family.

A few months ago, I did a post asking for wedding planning advice, and one of my college roommates sent me an e-mail in response to that post. Her thoughts were so heartfelt and made me stop and think about what's going to be most important. Nobody would probably remember it if I spent hours making these hot glue wine bottles. But, it will be important that we are truly happy, that we take time to breathe, and that we truly enjoy that day. In turn, others will too.

3 comments:

  1. I somehow missed the fact that not only do you have a brand new baby but you are planning a wedding -- and working full time? Talk about burning the candle at both ends! I'm impressed that you find the time to post on your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Planning your wedding is so exciting! And what your friend said is true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audrey's daddy and I finally decided to tie the knot next year. Today is our 9th anniversary. I (mostly) feel comfortable about our choices to wait. We had a brief discussion about marriage when we decided to have Audrey but so many other things were more important to us. Being good parents is a big thing and my relationship will not change after it is official. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete