Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thrifty Baby

I love Baby Gap and Gymboree as much as any other mother, but I just can't bring myself to spend $20 or even $15 on a shirt that Liam's going to wear to daycare. As a result, I've grown to love thrifting for baby items.

Yep. This shirt came in a box of clothes-- all for $15. Who can resist an "I Love Mommy" shirt.




When I first started thrifting for baby items, I would get excited whenever I found any type of boy items and buy anything and everything in sight. Now, I've learned to shop smarter, so I decided to share a few of the tips I've learned.

- Watch for style and quality- Even if it's only $3, it's not worth the money if you're never going to let your baby wear it. Along the same line, watch the brand. If you can buy it for close to the same cost brand new at Kohl's, then by all means, buy it brand new at Kohl's.

-Watch for size and age-appropriateness-  I try to stick to items that Liam will be able to wear within the next six months. I really don't have the space to store much more. The same is true for toys. Make sure it's something your baby can play with in the near future.

I lucked out and picked up all of these items for $5 at the consignment store in my hometown.

-Find shops you can trust-- I normally shop at the Thrift Store at The Club for Boys in a nearby town. It's well-established, I can trust it to have good prices, and the sales benefit an excellent charity.

The same is true for Better World Books. A friend of mine suggested this site to me as a way to build my classroom library when I first started teaching. Now, I use it to build my library at home. Liam and I read a lot of books, and many of them came from Better World Books. They have great deals, offer free shipping with no minimum order, and they match purchases book for book.

What about you? Do you buy used for your baby? Do you have any other tips to share?




7 comments:

  1. My son has rarely ever worn anything that is brand new! I find brand name clothes with tags still on them all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a garage sale person myself. I also hit up craigslist and sometime Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Practically everything my son wears is from Goodwill or yard sales. The biggest thing that I try to remember is to know the brands. When I first started I bought a few things for $2 that turned out to be from cheap brands that were $2.50 new - not much of a bargain. So know which brands you can get dirt cheap new and which ones are worth looking for used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't made it to the Goodwill here in town yet, but my mom found the CUTEST things for my daughter at a thrift store near her! Several of them were brand new with tags still on. Score!

    One of the ways I'm saving some $$ is by borrowing clothes from a friend with a baby 10 months older. It's a little scary when you are dealing with a blowout that might ruin something, but it's a pretty sweet deal otherwise. Also, generous grandmas are the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up with us! I totally buy consignment for Jack all the time, and his Christmas present is a Little Tikes climber that I got off CraigsList. Good as new as far as I'm concerned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up Amber!! Great tips!!

    ReplyDelete