Thursday, January 5, 2012

Homemade Marshmallows

One of the things I love about winter is hot cocoa, so when I saw this pin on Pinterest, I knew I had to have one for my wedding. Am I having programs at my wedding? No. A unity candle or sand ceremony? No. Are we writing our own vows? Nope. But, a hot chocolate bar with homemade marshmallows? Absolutely.

It took a couple of tries to get my marshmallow-making skills down, but I think I finally got it on Saturday night.

Here's what you need:

  • Vegetable oil, for brushing
  • 4 envelopes unflavored gelatin
  • 1 1/4 cups light corn syrup
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • hand mixer
  • candy thermometer
  • 9x13 pyrex baking dish
  • a mixing bowl
  • small (about 1-inch) cookie cutters or a knife



Directions:



  1. Brush the Pyrex baking dish with vegetable oil. Line it with parchment paper. Brush the parchment paper with oil.
  2. Put granulated sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 3/4 cup water into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil it until the candy thermometer reads 238 degrees.
  3. Meanwhile, put 3/4 cup cold water into a mixing bowl, add gelatin, and let soften for 5 minutes.
  4. Add the sugar mixture to the gelatin, and beat it with a hand mixer until it is stiff, about 12 minutes. Beat in vanilla.
  5. Pour the marshmallow mixture into the Pyrex dish you prepared earlier. Let it sit for at least  3 hours. (I made it right before going to bed and let the dish sit overnight. That worked really well.)
  6. Sift 1 cup powdered sugar onto the counter. Unmold marshmallow onto the  sugar and remove the parchment paper.
  7. Dip your 1-inch cookie cutter in vegetable oil and cut marshmallows.
  8. Dip the marshmallows in the remaining ½ cup of powdered sugar to coat. 



A few notes about this recipe: 
*The first time I made this recipe, I didn't beat the marshmallows for the full 12 minutes, and they turned out really hard. Make sure you beat them the whole time.
*I forgot to add the vanilla both times, but the marshmallows still tasted okay. 
* This is a modified version of Martha Stewart's recipe. She stole my idea of putting herbs in popcorn and published it in the October issue of Martha Stewart Magazine, so I think we're even now. Take that Martha.




1 comment:

  1. I love that you did this! Also, your comment to Martha made me laugh out loud :)

    ReplyDelete