Friday, January 6, 2012

My Little Journalist

When I was in college, my advisor and Newswriting professor delighted in telling us stories about the old days of journalism -- having to call for backup when riding around on the police beat, accidentally leaning on a dead body when helping the county coroner, etc. His stories were always really animated, and he wore one of those step counters to work each day. This led my roommate, who was an advertising major, and me to compare stories about the number of steps we guessed he had put in during each of our respective classes with him.

Perhaps, one of my favorite things about Jack was his love of vintage typewriters. He collected typewriters, typed up our internship grades,  and I remember at least one semester when I went to meet with him that he had used an old typewriter to type up a list of classes he thought I should take the following semester.

As a result, when I found this vintage typewriter at a rummage sale a few years ago, I couldn't pass it up. And, I was almost as excited when I found this tutorial for a vintage typewriter onesie for Liam on See Kate Sew.






I just used a basic white Gerber onesie, and I found all of the other supplies on Amazon:

-ink
-stamps

The ink seemed to work well on the onesie, but it didn't really dry well on the stamps, so some sort of stamp cleaner might be helpful. (I'm also pretty sure both the ink and the stamps were much cheaper when I ordered them, so it might be a good idea to keep an eye on prices.)

I figured that having alphabet stamps around might be helpful as Liam gets older, and I also used them on Christmas gifts that looked like this.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. I love the onesie, it reminds me of alphabet soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps Liam should become a baby model or his mom should become a photographer---these pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete