Monday, February 27, 2012

Take A Walk on the Wild Side

Over the past few weeks, Liam and I have had a lot of time to hang out at home and read books. Lately it seems like we've kept ourselves busy reading plenty of jungle-themed books.

I grabbed Giraffes Can't Dance by Gilles Andreae at the library a couple of weeks ago. It's a really sweet book about Gerald the giraffe. Gerald feels left out at the annual Jungle Dance because he's awkward and can't dance. That is, until he meets a cricket who tells him, "But sometimes when you're different, you just need a different song."Soon, Gerald learns that "We all can dance when we find music that we love." 

During that same library trip, I grabbed When the Elephant Walks by Keiko Kasza. I thought it was a funny little story, but Liam wasn't all that interested in the book. Liam really likes books that have rhythm and repetition or pictures that grab his eye. This book really didn't have that, nor was the prose written in such a way that made it easy for me to improvise with funny voices to keep Liam's attention. Perhaps when he's older, this story will be one that Liam will enjoy. 

Liam and I grabbed In My Jungle by Sara Gillingham at the book store last week. Liam literally squealed when I pulled this book off the shelf. He was really excited about the finger puppet. When we brought it home, I wasn't disappointed. Whenever, I pull this book out, Liam gets really excited. It's the perfect length for Liam's attention span and definitely keeps him interested.



No comments:

Post a Comment