Tuesday, February 28, 2012

With a Vengeance

Yesterday a regional newspaper quoted a meteorologist  as saying, "Winter is back (with) a vengeance." We've had snow three of the past five days, but we've only gotten about three inches total. But, the wind. Oh my goodness, the wind. That drift in my yard made it seem like way more than three inches, and I hate wind chill. I can deal with cold. I can deal with snow. But, I can't deal with that biting wind on my face, which is why I'm definitely not looking forward to the winter storm that's expected tomorrow. I don't think we're going to get hit nearly as hard as the rest of the state, but we are expected to get 6+ inches of snow with wind.

As I read that news story this morning, I got a little depressed. I've had a serious case of the February "blahs" lately. Sadly, I don't really see an end in sight. I, mean, seriously this is South Dakota. We've known to have snow storms in May.

I started looking over my winter to do list from a few months ago and realized that it was pretty holiday-oriented. After some thought, I decided to put together add a few things to the list:

  • Moisturize (& Floss) Daily -- The heater and that wind is getting to my poor face. It's dry and chapped, and I noticed a few small wrinkles around my eyes a few weeks ago. Also, I think that making sure I do things like moisturizing and flossing make me feel a little more productive. (Okay, I feel like such a loser admitting that I don't always do those things daily. And, I also want to clarify that this is an ongoing goal. I'm not going to quit moisturizing and flossing once spring hits.)
  • Buy a new pair of snow boots-- I live in ballet flats. It's my thing. After years of people saying, "Aren't your feet cold?," I finally decided I should buy a pair of snow boots. I'm just not sure how adults go about doing that. Do you carry your shoes to work in your bag? My biggest fear is forgetting them. I was totally that kid in elementary school who forgot my real shoes and ended up trudging around school in my snow boots because my mom refused to take me home to get my shoes. Hopefully, I'll be a more responsible adult. (Also, I'm hoping to find a semi-cute pair on clearance now that the racks are filled with swim suits and rash guards and sun hats.)
  • Become more involved in my community-- This means a few things. I really want to take a community education class. I found one that involves making books. I thought that would be fun. I also want to volunteer more or become involved in a community organization. When I was in college, I felt like I was pretty involved on campus, but for some reason when I moved to our current town, I never really reached out and tried to meet people. I think it's because I wasn't expecting to stay long-term. Now that I've been a homeowner in this community for almost three years now, I think I should make a point to become more involved. 
  • Since I kind of failed at making the side dish for Thanksgiving, I want to cook one new recipe each month. 
Okay, I think four is a good start. Any other suggestions for my list? Do you have any goals to help you avoid the end of winter "blahs"?


6 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean about getting involved in the community. My husband and I bought our house almost 6 years ago, and I feel like we just stated to meet people when we had a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creating goals in the middle of winter is such a good idea. Maybe we should all be making Chinese New Year's Resolutions, that's about when I start to feel "blah". Make a list of songs for your friend? ;) Read? Did you ever find a good Mom & Baby exercise that didn't involve being outside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. I need to keep that one on the list. Just found this one http://www.amazon.com/spotlightbaby-Big-Ball-Fun-Baby/dp/B004LWZLFC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1330484212&sr=8-6. I already have the exercise ball. Oooh, and the list of definitely in progress.

      Delete
    2. I should also add that I've been doing Jillian Michaels, which is only a half hour long, so that's pretty baby friendly.

      Delete
  3. I am so happy you added the floss daily,lol:) Buying a pair of snow boots- I don't think I did that in ages. I need to do this and also buy a ski outfit. I desperately need one! I love your little list- it will hold you accountable:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a little jealous of your winter blahs! We haven't even had an inch of snow all winter here in Nashville, and while it has been nice that we have rarely even had to wear coats our little girl has been dying to build a snowman!

    ReplyDelete