Sunday, March 4, 2012

Explorer Room Essentials

I've been trying to chip away at a few of the projects I had in mind for Liam's explorer room. I decided to ease into the projects with something kind of easy.

Something you should know about me is that I'm not an overly clean person-- I don't really like to do dishes or dust or mop, but I do like to organize things. (Yeah, I know that sounds kind of strange.) Craig gave up on putting my clothes away, because I have them organized a certain way in my closet (mostly by color), so I can find things easier when I'm rushing around in the mornings. Another thing that I like organizing is my books (by author, genre, etc).  As I was trying to decide how to best display and organize Liam's books, I found this pin on Pinterest.

{source}
I happened to have an old map of Southeast Asia from National Geographic and a couple of shoe boxes left over from Christmas.



The process was pretty easy. I just wrapped the box kind of like a present. I probably could have paid a little more attention to where I cut the map, because I ended up using the entire map to wrap one box.

I'm in the process of tracking down maps for a few more projects. I would like to recreate one of these using maps.

{source}
{source}
{source}

What do you think? Which should I try next?

5 comments:

  1. How clever!
    I like the way you used the map, though, because you centered China perfectly on the front. Couldn't do that if you were trying to save the map :)

    Thanks so much for linking up with Happy Homemaker Me's Pinterest Party!

    ♥ Bethany

    www.happyhomemaker.me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Amber! Those letters look so cute -- I'd try that one next, but they all look awesome. Sometimes used bookstores have old, outdated maps you can pick up on the cheap...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I absolutely loved Pinterest. It's such an addiction for me. I bet as it warms up you could get lots of old maps/papers from yard sales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I love Pinterest ~ so many neat ideas can be found there. I'm SO addicted to it. Anyway, I think the letters would be an awesome project. Very cute to hang in a bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber, another blog I follow posted a DIY with maps for her son's room this week, too!: http://www.thesmithsep.com/2012/03/alphabet-mapping-take-2.html

    ReplyDelete