Thursday, March 29, 2012

From Blume to Grisham

Each year, my mom read Where the Red Fern grows with her fifth graders. Each year she insisted on reading the last chapters aloud to the class, even though she knew she would cry when Little Ann died of grief.

When we moved and she started teaching 7th, 8th, and 9th grade, she was encountered by a concerned parent who was worried because the public library had Harry Potter on its shelves. My mom's response: "I'm just happy the kids in our community are excited about reading."

I could count on books in my stocking almost every year. My tastes in books evolved over the years from American Girls and Sweet Valley Twins to Judy Blume and Lurlene McDaniel to John Grisham and Mary Higgins Clark in junior high to books like Primary Colors in high school. It didn't matter how awful my taste in books was, my mom always worked hard to foster a love of reading. I hope to do the same with Liam.

Liam's going to kick back and enjoy The Alchemist.

Or perhaps some Tom Friedman will suit him better. 
What about you? What were some of your favorites growing up?

3 comments:

  1. I LOVED Where the Red Fern Grows!!! I remember crying at the end of that one too. My sister read it to her 4th grade class last year and she said that everyone in the room was crying at the end, including her! Lol!!

    In middle school I really liked all of the R.L. Stine books. Now, as an adult I can't read anything scary or I have nightmares!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My very very very favorite book of all time is My Name is Asher Lev. I read it when I was 17 and it's been my favorite ever since. I read like a fiend growing up and I agree with your mom, at least kids are excited about reading. Even though I'm not a huge fan, this is how I feel about the Twilight series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book! I remember it vividly! I loved the Judy Bloom book series

    ReplyDelete