Friday, March 30, 2012

Little Bits and Pieces: Inspired By My Facebook Newsfeed Edition

 **Disclaimer: After I got this all written, Craig informed me that most of this is old news, so I'm going to apologize in advance if you've already read most of these. 


Have you seen this article from the Chicago Tribune? What can I say? We South Dakotans are pretty proud. Perhaps the reason why the First Lady visited this week is because she's slightly embarrassed of her hometown newspaper's pretentious remarks.

To be fair there's a whole lot more to South Dakota than Mt. Rushmore and the world's only Corn Palace. I mean, yeah, if you're here, you may as well pay for the $8 parking permit to see Mt. Rushmore, but I'm far more taken aback by the beauty of Sylvan Lake, The Badlands, and Spearfish Canyon. One of my all-time favorite places is most definitely Lover's Leap.

Near the top, there's a sign that says, "...place where one can be an unworried and unregimented individual and wear any old clothes and sit on a log and get his sanity back again."


 ***

In other Dakotas-related stories, this lady is pretty adorable. What can I say, I'm sure it's no LeBernardin, but I enjoy an order of soup, salad and breadsticks every now and then, too. Craig told me that some guy posted this story and made some snide remark. Everybody jumped all over him for going to a "b-list culinary school" and "he'd be lucky if he could even get a job at an Olive Garden." I love it.

***

Have you guys all heard about the Cinnamon Challenge? Maybe it's because I live with a 16-year-old trapped in a 32-year-old body, but I've seen several versions of it on YouTube. (We also have a jar of Ghost Chiles in our cupboard.) Anyway, there's a post on the NPR health blog, Shots, about all of the risks associated with the Cinnamon Challenge. I'm not sure if I needed NPR's advice to keep me from trying it, but it's good to know.

2 comments:

  1. That Tribune writer is clearly crazy. Michelle knows what's going on. Who wouldn't want to visit South Dakota?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know any of it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete