Sunday, April 22, 2012

Earth Day Reads

Liam and I picked up a few great Earth Day-related reads from the library recently, so I thought I'd share.

First of all, we read First the Egg by Laura Vaccaro Seeger. This was a great story. Liam really liked the die-cut pages. He'd get really excited each time we turned the page. I also thought the simple words and illustrations worked well for this story.

{source}

We also grabbed The Water Hole by Graeme Base. As with most of Base's books, this had fantastic illustrations. I liked that this was a counting book, but it also had a story to it. It had die cut pages, too, showing a shrinking watering hole as it travels through various countries and continents. The book also had a lot of onomatopoeia, which Liam always enjoys.

Finally, we read Me, Jane by Patrick McDonnell. This was a sweet book about Jane Goodall. I liked that one of the pages had drawings that Jane had actually created herself as a child. Overall, I think it did a great job of sharing Jane Goodall's story.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendations! We've never read "First The Egg," we'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete