Wednesday, April 11, 2012

YA Reading Binge



I've been on a young adult reading binge lately. First, I picked up The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I had actually gone to the library to get The Hunger Games and ended up grabbing this book. I'm glad I did. It was a really great book about fate and how life rarely ends up as we expect.

I have a confession-- I have never read any of the Harry Potter books,  and I only made it through the first two books in the Twilight series before I got bored. I wasn't really planning to jump on The Hunger Games bandwagon, but I had read a review in which the reader felt the same way about Harry Potter and Twilight but enjoyed The Hunger Games. I enjoyed the book, and I may break down and go see the movie.

Finally, I reread The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. There's a part in the story when one of the characters, Gordy, is talking to the main character, Arnold about reading: "You have to read a book three times before you know it. The first time you read it for the story. The plot. The movement from scene to scene that gives the book its momentum, its rhythm. It's like riding a raft down a river. You're just paying attention to the currents." That was definitely true of this book for me. This time, I picked up on so many details that stood out to me, that gave me a different perspective on the story. 

Up next, I'm ready to plunge back into the world of adult reading. I'm hoping to read Great with Child: Letters to a Young Mother in the next week while I'm waiting for my copy of Zeitoun, our next book club pick, to come in via interlibrary loan.

Also, if you're a book lover, you should definitely check out Courtney's new Etsy shop. I may have already ordered a mother's day gift for my book-loving mom.

3 comments:

  1. I've never read any of the Harry Potter books either, and I hated most of the Twilight series but I read all 4 books anyway. (Bella makes me want to barf!) I am obsessed with the Hunger Games series though, so hopefully it will work out for you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YA books are the BEST. When I was teaching, I loved being able to pretend I was doing schoolwork when actually I was just reading for fun. ;) I've only read one HP and no Twilight books -- but Hunger Games rocks! And thanks for the plug (and purchase) -- L and I are off to the post office when she wakes up from her nap...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never read the Harry Potter books either. I liked the Hunger Games movie and thinking I will read them!

    ReplyDelete