Thursday, May 10, 2012

For My Mom


I couldn't let this week go by without a little shout-out to my mom. Mom, thank you. Thank you for all that you've taught me over the years, things like making sure to hang items on my walls in odd-numbered groups, and that capri pants make short people look shorter, and horizontal stripes make you look wider. All of these are rules that I've broken at some point in my life, but I've never done so successfully.

And thank you for those big things you taught me, too. As I stand in front of my class, I occasionally remember you standing in front of us with that excitement-- shouting things like "Reading is knowledge and knowledge is power."

You taught me how to have fun, too, and to not take life so seriously. I'll never forget one Christmas break during college. You and I went for the local sports bar for supper, and we decided to play Keno. As the numbers showed up on the screen, you said, "C'mon, Mama needs more money to buy Christmas presents." Nothing like keeping it classy.

I love how much you love life, I love that you're a wonderful grandma to my son, and I am forever grateful for all that you've taught me.

3 comments: