Friday, May 18, 2012

A Road Trip DIY

Every one-year-old needs a shirt with the mythical creature of American folklore that is the Jackalope for his first trip to Wall Drug. Right?

I recently discovered that this method for dyeing fabric works really well for covering up blowout stains on white onesies.


The website does a really good job describing the process, so I won't go into too much detail. I do want to share a few tips, though:

-Since I was only doing one onesie, I cut the recipe in half.
-When rinsing, it is best to make sure to rinse until the water runs clear.
-When I washed with cold water, I didn't have much trouble with bleeding, but I did run into a little bleeding when I washed with warm water. Fortunately, I washed the onesie with a load of towels, so it didn't really matter.

In order to create the transfer, I used these transfers and purchased the image from this Etsy shop. I printed the image on the transfer, trimmed the transfer as close to the image as possible, and followed the instructions provided to iron it to the onesie. 


When I showed it to Craig, he said, "Nice. You don't see too many items with the action shot of the Jackalope." Liam is going to be the most unique baby at Wall Drug.

3 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! I love the idea and the shirt came out so good! Miss seeing you on the Saturday laughs. HOpe to see you soon!! Happy Belated Mom Day my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute little onesie this turned out to be:) Just dropping in from the May Day Hop to invite you to link up to another week of Freedom Fridays:) So hoping to see you there!
    PS Now following you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want Wall Drug trip pics! I also want wedding pics. Could I be a little bit more demanding this morning? Nope, probably not.

    ReplyDelete