Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Map Project Redux


Some of you might remember this project that I planned to make for Liam's explorer room. While the idea of brads and eyelets and cricut kind of scared me, I set out to recreate it one Sunday afternoon. I hung it on the wall, so proud of my creation, only to have Craig knock it down, ripping the M. I decided I needed something slightly sturdier than old maps backed with card stock for my one-year-old's room. So, after a couple of months of reading various DIY posts, I was able to piece this together.

Supplies:
-old maps (I found some at our local consignment store for a dollar each. I ended up using three for this project, but that was only because I was picky about what places I used.)
-wooden letters (I picked mine up for 70 cents each at Hobby Lobby this weekend.)
-white craft paint
-sand paper or a nail file
-a utility knife or an X-Acto knife (After using the utility knife, I highly recommend the X-acto knife.)
-Mod Podge
-a tree branch or wooden dowel (Ours was left over from trimming back our trees this spring.)
-string, or another hanging method (I had dyed some old white string with Tumeric when I made Liam's Jackalope onesie last month.)

Process:
1. Sand and trim the tree branch to your desired length.
2. Choose the maps you would like to use. I wanted this project to have some meaning. I chose Boston (Craig's birthplace) for the L, Eastern South Dakota (my birthplace) for the I, Central Florida (where Craig grew up) for the A, and Western South Dakota (the area where Craig and I met, were married, and where Liam was born) for the M.
3. Prime the wooden letters with white craft paint.
4. Use Mod Podge to adhere the pre-trimmed map pieces to the wooden letters.
5. There may be some overhang. Trim the maps, so they fit perfectly. Then sand it. I used a utility knife to do the trimming, but I wish I would have used an X-Acto knife. I experienced a few tears because the utility knife wasn't small enough to fit into some of the tighter spaces on the letters.
6. Cover the letters with another coat of Mod Podge.
7. I used a hot glue gun to glue the letters to a tree branch.
8. Tie and trim the string to your desired length for hanging.


1 comment:

  1. This turned out great! You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete