Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Some Thoughts on a Tuesday Night

{source}
When I first thought I was pregnant but still hadn't confirmed it, I went out and bought myself a green leather clutch purse*. It was like my single, childless girl last supper. (I feel like such a loser even admitting this.) For as long as I can remember, I've loved shopping -- a $15 Target shirt here, a $20 pair of ballet flats there. But lately, a few things have had me rethinking my love of shopping. 

First, I read Courtney's post. (Let's be honest, I stepped away from that post thinking, "Oh my goodness, she's not buying any new clothes for a year.") Most recently, Elizabeth's post got me thinking about how I spend my money. Those $15 shirts and $20 pairs of ballet flats add up to one big pile of things I don't really need. Perhaps, I should start focusing on spending on things that matter to me.

I frequently drop off items that I most certainly "needed" six months ago at the nearest consignment store or charity thrift shop. My little 1936 house is overflowing with more stuff than I like to admit that I own.

Tonight, as Liam and I were out on our evening walk, I continued to contemplate some changes I'm thinking about making. It occurred to me that for my sake and for Liam's sake, I need to continue to rethink the way I spend my money-- I need to start focusing on providing him with memorable experiences, like trips to Storybook Island and the farmer's market and hikes around the lake, rather than things that will pile up and eventually get donated or shipped off to the consignment store anyway.

*That green leather clutch purse is still laying on my top shelf, though. I still like to break it out for special occasions.

4 comments:

  1. Wow I love that quote up there. Whats really gonna matter in 100 years you know?! Anyways, I think I could go a whole year without buying clothes because sometimes I feel like that's how poor I am haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you! I'm pretty frugal already, but sometimes I splurge on things that I wish I hadn't. I want to make sure I always feel good about my purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on this same realization too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That green leather clutch purse sounds like the perfect thing to keep forever and ever as a way to remember the way things were and keep you on track for how you want things to be now! Just made a trip to Goodwill with two bags -- I'm right there with you.

    ReplyDelete