Thursday, July 26, 2012

Some Thoughts on Blogging

I recently heard a story about a woman who was trying to negotiate contracted prices for her wedding and threatened to "take it to the blogosphere." I get it. Weddings are expensive. Craig and I are very fortunate to have had a number of our friends and family members pitch in and help make our wedding great without spending ridiculous amounts of money.  I couldn't help but wonder, though, is this what we've come to? Demanding free things and reduced rates and threatening to "take it to the blogosphere," Twitter, or Facebook if we don't get what we want. The people who are trying to provide us with those goods and services are trying to make a living, too.

I was reminded of this story when I read a post on Elizabeth's blog. She was discussing the quest for followers, comments, and the jealousy that stems from blogging sometimes. Her approach to the whole situation was really refreshing, and led me to think about a few of my current favorite bloggers. It made me remember that there are some really great bloggers out there who should not go unnoticed.

 -Nicole, mama to Henry, shares some great toddler activities.

-Leland's only a few weeks older than Liam, and I love Megan's approach to parenting.

-Nessa's little boys are the greatest. I only hope that Liam grows up to be as funny and imaginative as they are.

-Avery has got to be one of the most adorable preschoolers, and everytime I visit Stephanie's blog, I can't help but be a little bit jealous of her green thumb.

-Lindsey and Ethan love adventures and music as much as Liam and I do. And that farm-themed birthday party? Seriously amazing.

-Who wouldn't be jealous of Nikki and Evie's trip to Spain.

-Kate's post made me nostalgic for D.C. I, too, dreamed of living a Carrie Bradshaw-esque life in a city-- until I spent a summer in D.C. I quickly realized that I kind of like watching the stars and breathing fresh air.

And because this post couldn't go without a cute picture of Liam, here's a shot of him ready to play at 9 p.m. on Tuesday night. I don't know if you guys knew this, but bed times are for sissies.


P.S. Elizabeth's current post definitely led me to Google myself. It's been awhile. Fortunately, there still aren't that many interesting things about me on the Internet-- a few pictures of me being nerdy in high school, a few more items about me being nerdy in college, and some salary data from when I was a "Hill Staffer." Hint: I was an intern. It wasn't much.

4 comments:

  1. Liam has SO MANY TEETH! Holy moly. Thanks for the links to check out -- I'm off to do so right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the link! I'm so excited to check out the other bloggers you linked as well.

    I think blogging should be about sharing and fun, not followers and freebies and all the things that are so unimportant in life. I love following your blog because it's refreshing, and I love the small glimpses into your life with your sweet little one. : ) It's always nice to connect with other mom/bloggers.

    Hope you guys have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I happened to stumble across your blog.
    New follower
    How sweet is liam!!
    www.ohsoamelia.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet, thanks for the mention! I love your parenting approach as well :)

    ReplyDelete