Sunday, August 5, 2012

One Year & A New Design

Tomorrow will officially mark the one year anniversary of the blog. I wrote my first post, How This All Started, on Saturday, August 6, 2011. Since then, I've found blogging to be a great outlet, a place where I can share little stories about Liam with my family and friends, as well as a place where I've been able to meet new friends.

As I approached the one year anniversary of the blog, I started thinking about getting a new design. I researched a few places that offer design services, but in the end, I realized that one of the things I really enjoyed about blogging was learning new things and  researching different HTML codes to make sure things look the way I want them to. I am, by no means, a designer, but playing around with things and learning new skills has always been fun for me, so I settled on trying to do the design myself. While there are already things I would like to tweak, I am pretty happy with the end result.

I loved my original design-- I thought it was cute, but I also thought it was a little busy. I've always loved blogs with a lot of white space and large photos, and I decided that was the direction I wanted to go. I would still love to improve my photography skills, as photography is something I've always enjoyed. I think this design will allow me to showcase the photos I take of Liam as I work to improve those skills.

In opening up that space, I did remove the sidebar information. I moved the Google Friend Connect gadget, follow by e-mail or RSS buttons, and the blog archives to the bottom of the page, so if you're looking for those things, you can find them there. I decided to remove the sponsor swap and Top Baby Blogs button completely. You can still find my favorite blogs on the Favorites page.

Finally, I want to thank all of you, from my friends and family to those of you I've met online, for being so supportive throughout the course of the past year. I've seen so many posts recently in response to negative comments. While I'm sure it's bound to happen sometime, I count myself fortunate to have been blogging for a year now without experiencing that. Thank you for your words of support and encouragement in the comment section, by e-mail, or in person. I truly appreciate it.

5 comments:

  1. Happy 1 year blog-a-versary!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 1 year! I love the new design and so impressed that you did it yourself! So glad I "e" met you and your awesome site!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Blogaversary!! Love the new design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the header and design! It looks great! And happy blogaversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Amber! Good for you for messing around with a new design, it is so different around these parts but it looks great though :)
    I hope you and Liam are keeping well...Happy 1 year Blogaversary, so glad you're enjoying it!!

    ReplyDelete