Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Crash! Smash! Boom! Books With Rhythm, Rhyme, and Onomatopoeia, Too.

{As I'm watching an old episode of Modern Family.}
Me: Maybe we should send Liam to poetry camp. He really likes onomatopoeia. 
Craig: Yeah, but all of his work would be cliche. Every other word would be truck or puppy. 

It's true. Liam loves books with onomatopoeia (and rhythm and rhyme). He also loves trucks (and puppies), and we've found some books that roll his love of rhythm, rhyme, onomatopoeia, and trucks into one. 


The Little Blue Truck: We recently checked this one out from the library, and Liam loves it. We may have to purchase our own copy to keep around the house. I love the story of the Little Blue Truck helping the big dump truck out of a mud puddle with the help of his friends. At the end of the story, Liam echoes my "Beep! Beep! Beep!", which makes me smile. 

Smash! Crash!: Liam frequently requests this book at night, and it's one of Craig's favorites, too. It tells the story of Jack Truck and Dump Truck Dan who both love smashing and crashing. I had no idea that Jon Scieszka wrote books about trucks until I saw this in a little coffee shop this summer, and I recently discovered that there's a whole series of Truck Town books. I'm sure Liam will love reading the Truck Town books for many years. 

Chugga Chugga Choo-Choo: This is another book that we first discovered at the library but had to add to our collection after reading it many nights in a row. I'll concede that it's not actually about trucks, but Liam loves to "choo-choo" almost as much as he loves reading about trucks.

2 comments:

  1. Liam and Lorelei are made for each other, as dogs and cars are her two favorite things right now. Also, onions, but that's another story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Onomatopoeia is one of my favorite literary terms (I am also partial to alliteration)...but I'm a nerdy language teacher like that! These sound like great books to check out!

    ReplyDelete