Monday, October 8, 2012

on the road again + some toddler travel tips



This weekend Liam and I headed back to my hometown for my grandparents' 50th Wedding Anniversary. Liam loved dancing the night away and hanging out with all of his cousins.



In the past, I would embark on these trips alone with no fears, but since Liam's become a bit of a squirmy toddler and we ditched the pacifier completely recently, I got a little worried this time around. Surprisingly, Liam traveled really well. I thought I'd share a few things we did to make the trip go smoothly:

-Leave just before nap time-- For a 4-5 hour trip, this worked really well, because Liam slept more than half of the trip. On the way home, he slept most of the way-- it must have been all of that dancing he did on Saturday night.

-Bring car-friendly snacks-- We usually travel with  the Go Go Squeeze applesauce pouches and the Munchkin Snack Catchers filled with cereal or Goldfish crackers.

-Bring a few cloth books or board books and some car-friendly toys-- A few of our favorites include: this, this, and these cars. I'm thinking about investing in one of these-- Liam was fascinated with my cousin's during the anniversary dinner. I leave them in a little basket I found in the One Spot at Target next to Liam's car seat.

-Bring good car-dancing music--This is one of Liam's favorite activities. (He has an affinity for cheezy teen pop lately.)

-Pack one clean outfit in an easily accessible location-- It's no fun having to dig outfits out of your suitcase if there's an accident.

For more road trip tips, check out Margaux's blog.

4 comments:

  1. These are AWESOME suggestions! I went on "toddler and mommy" road trip recently and someone told me whatever I do, leave before naptime. I also filled a little bin to keep passing in the backseat when he did wake up and wanted something, this way I could keep handing back new toys and not worry about him dumping the whole basket at once! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad he traveled well, and that you got to head back to celebrate with your grandparents! 50 years?! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these! I'm a huge travel fan and definitely plan to travel with my little one when he/she arrives so I love any tip I can get! =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inquiring minds want to know more about ditching the pacifier!

    ReplyDelete