Wednesday, January 2, 2013

be mindful


Until yesterday, I was almost certain that I would not be writing a resolution post. The more I thought about it, though, the more I realized that my resolution this year, and always, should be to be mindful. Mindful of how I'm spending my money. How I'm treating my family, friends, and coworkers. Mindful of what I'm reading and how I'm spending my time. How I treat myself--both physically and mentally.  I know this goal blows all of the goal-setting rules out of the water. It's not specific or measurable or attainable or time-limited. It is relevant, though.

So often, I throw caution to the wind and spend money on things that will neither make me happy nor fulfill some specific need. I don't spend as much quality time with Liam or with Craig as I would like. And I know that I'll never be perfect, but I do hope to be more mindful of the impact of my actions as I approach day to day tasks.

A few of my favorite resolution-related tasks from around the web yesterday include:

-I love these resolutions and think #4 is brilliant.
-It's so important to remember this.
-I love Elizabeth's monthly goals (modeled after Kate's from 2012), and I think I'm going to take a similar approach to my 30 by 30 list, which already needs a few modifications.

6 comments:

  1. This is how I'm feeling too. To be more careful and intentional with all of my actions, especially with Avery. I just want to be happier with all of my actions and decisions this year.

    Here's to a wonderful new year! May you and your family be happy and blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a great word to start off 2013. And a definite reminder that we all need to be more considerate when choosing how to spend our time and our money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tradition many have of choosing a word to describe what they want for the New Year in addition to/instead of making resolutions. I know I could use more mindfulness in my life, too, and I do think meditating on a word or idea like mindfulness can lead to meaningful, if not measurable, change. Wishing you a mindful, meaningful year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to start 2013!! I am definitely feeling this way too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you, I need to be more mindful and present as well. Life gets so crazy sometimes that it helps to stand back and take a look at how you are taking it all in and what you are putting out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, I love resolutions!
    To mindfulness!

    ReplyDelete