Monday, March 18, 2013

a better person.



Last night a friend and I were having one of the tangential conversations that is characteristic of our relationship when I brought up this article. I mentioned something about kids causing more stress on relationships, but said that I think having Liam has actually made Craig and I appreciate each other more.

She reminded me of a conversation we had a few years ago. I was mad about something (probably something really silly like Craig falling asleep on the couch and leaving every.single.light on in our house and the T.V. blaring, which, to be fair, is one of my biggest pet peeves, and he knows it). When I told my friend about it, she asked me if I would choose somebody different if I had to do it all over again. Without hesitating, I told her I would choose somebody just like Craig.

The thing is, even though Craig leaves the lights and T.V. on all night and forgets to transfer money into our joint account on his pay day so I can pay our bills and works way too much and makes fun of my fashion and home design choices, he makes me a better person. He brings much-needed humor into my life and cares deeply about people and when I'm feeling really stressed out, he spends time with Liam and when I thank him for doing it, he says, "No problem. I kind of like him."

It's not our anniversary, and it's not Valentine's Day, and it's not his birthday, but I know I don't say it often enough. I'm pretty lucky to have him.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you two compliment each other well! Here's to many more happy years together!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. I've been really, really crabby with Jason lately and I'm the kind of person who tends to talk about the negative about him/our relationship when I'm with friends, writing blog posts, etc. I have to do a better job of remembering to talk about the good stuff, too, because there's a long list. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this post. Sounds like a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete