Saturday, April 27, 2013

a spring + summer reading list


I've been on a bit of a reading binge lately. I finished Persepolis last weekend. My younger (and trendier) sister frequently reads graphic novels, and whenever she'd tell me she was reading a graphic novel, I'd nod and smile, thinking "That is the nerdiest thing ever, Mic." Persepolis was good, though, really good. I'm the slowest reader ever, and I started reading it on a Thursday night and finished it on a Saturday morning. (Let's be honest, I typically fall asleep within 20 minutes of opening my book when I try to read at night.) So, if you're looking for a quick read (or are looking to break into the world of graphic novels like myself), Persepolis is a great pick.

And, since Liam frantically grabbed every library book on our shelf in an attempt to delay going to bed last night, we're going to head to the library first thing this morning to grab a few more. We're also going to try to grab Argo since my last few attempts have been futile, including a couple of Saturdays ago when I nearly wrestled it out of the hands of a sixty year old man, but I digress. 

For Liam we're going to get The Pinkish, Purplish, Bluish Egg. I first read about Bill Peet on Bridget's blog. It turns out The Pinkish, Purplish, Bluish Egg is the only Bill Peet book our library owns, so we're going to check that out while I search for Kermit the Hermit online. Since Liam's a big fan of bikes and David Shannon, we're going to try to get Duck on a Bike. We'll also try to grab Diary of a Worm (from the author of Click, Clack, Moo: Cows that Type!) and The Pout Pout Fish

I currently have Divergent on hold at the library (they'll hold books but not movies). The rest of my list for this summer includes: Traveling Mercies (which I've been wanting to read since I first read Operating Instructions), The Power of Play, and Loving Frank (which, by the way, I purchased at the library book sale for 50 cents). 

What about you? Have you read any great books (or graphic novels lately)? Anything to add to my list? 



2 comments:

  1. Oh I never had heard of Duck on a Bike. I'll have to look for that one because Darwin LOVES David Shannon as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these. I love it when people share their reading lists! I have a stack of books on my nightstand waiting to be read...problem is I keep picking up more and more to add to it. One day I'll read them all. I'm hoping this summer I'll be able to knock out my reading. : )

    ReplyDelete