Tuesday, April 2, 2013

alright


A few days ago, I stumbled upon this post on the New York Times. At first, I was like, "Oh great, some parenting advice from a non-parent." ::eyeroll:: To be fair, Bruni spent a little too much time talking about "all of the choices" we give our kids. What he probably doesn't understand is that either you're the parent that gives a few too many choices/chances or you're the parent rushing through Target with a crying kid because you won't let him open the green juice he picked out until after you paid and everybody's looking at you like "Why can't she control her kid?" Let's be honest, I've been both of those, and neither one is fun.

In spite of my (probably excessive) eyerolling, I continued reading, and I couldn't help but think that Bruni had a point when he said, "So parents: cut yourselves some slack. Take a deep breath. No one false step or one missed call is going to consign your children to an entirely different future. Make sure that they know they’re loved. Make sure that they know their place. And make peace with the fact that you don’t hold all or even most of the cards. There may be a frustrating sense of helplessness in that realization. But there’s a mercy, too. "

Last night, I discovered that Craig has been sneaking Liam Pop Tarts. A few weeks ago, we had a little Pop Tart incident at daycare, and Craig knew I was upset, which is probably why he had been hiding the box of Pop Tarts in his vehicle. When I asked him about it, he said, "What? He likes Pop Tarts. We couldn't leave the store without them. And, besides, you're kind of a hypocrite. I know you like Pop Tarts." True story.

The thing is, as parents, I think we always want better for our kids than we had before them. Honestly, I had a pretty good childhood, so there's not a lot to be changed. Sure, I like Pop Tarts, and one of my favorite activities as a kid was flipping quarters (basically gambling) for pops at the feed store near my house. I turned out alright, though (I think). And, I'm sure Liam will, too.




4 comments:

  1. Aww, I REALLY needed this today. Sometimes I feel like I'm at my wits end because Avery is so strong willed, and also because I can't control what she hears, sees and experiences from those around her. I also get frustrated with Erik sometimes for not bring strict enough, but then I know he thinks I should relax. Ha! Such a vicious cycle!

    But seriously, the pop tart thing is hilarious. I mean, I know it probably wasn't funny last night, but it's pretty cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, there are some days that I am okay with thinking like this (and there should probably be more) but somedays I get too caught up with other thoughts (I am sure this is not not normal) .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure he will too :)
    Cute post! And such an adorable picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And now I need to make a run to the store to pick up a box of poptarts. Thanks. ;0) Parenting is such hard work, especially today. With all of our 'connectedness' we all feel like we have to be perfect. It's so hard to let go though...

    ReplyDelete