Wednesday, May 29, 2013

home updates: the living room

Last summer, I suddenly decided I was sick of most of the décor in my house, so I slowly started purging, taking a large portion of it to our local consignment store since the nearest Goodwill is an hour away. I also spent this winter and spring repainting the majority of the rooms on our first floor. There are definitely a few things left to be done. We plan to replace most of the trim since it's foam core (which I didn't realize until after we moved in), and it's been slowly peeling away from the wall.


I always dreamed of having a library, so as we were looking at houses, this built in book shelf was definitely a selling point for me. While I've gotten better about donating books after I've read them, it still doesn't hold all of our books, but it's a start. I've wanted that map since the election and finally bought it with some of my consignment store proceeds a few months ago. I'm all set for 2016. Craig also has a really elaborate system where we color states we visit on our own one color and have various patterns for states we've both visited but not together, places we've visited as a couple, and places we've visited as a family. In the meantime, I'm just leaving it blank. My sister found that chair at a consignment store in our hometown. At first, I was sure I was going to have it recovered, but after adding those pillows, I think it's kind of granny chic. My dad gave us the chiming clock for Christmas the year after we bought the house, and the pink elephant was my Great Grandma's.


For years, my mom had that print with the globe hanging in her bedroom, and she eventually moved it into her classroom. I always loved it and spent a few days last summer sorting through her storage sheds trying to find it. I bought the big clock at a home goods store, where I used to work nights and weekends, shortly after we moved into the house.


I bought that typewriter at a garage sale the summer we bought the house. I love it, and I'm fairly certain that it's going to be one of those items that travels with us from house to house. I'm pretty sure I also bought that wooden globe at a consignment store in a nearby town around the same time. That desk was my Grandpa Jerry's. At first I was going to repaint it, but I realized it had several names scratched into the top, which I really like. I'm hoping to eventually turn this corner of the room into a little art nook for Liam.

P.S. You might notice that one major living room item is missing from these photos--our couch. That's because I hate it. It's a giant brown reclining sofa that Craig insisted on buying after he got tired of me resting my feet on his lap while I was pregnant. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

4 comments:

  1. Just now seeing this - I guess we both have home decor on the brain this week! I love, love, love that old desk and your map. I still have all the maps we used to "wallpaper" our kitchen at the old house and want to find something to do with them. Also, I totally sympathize on the sofa conundrum. Why can't someone make a couch that is both comfortable AND chic? And/or why can't husbands get behind the idea of having a pulled-together decor? Jason and I are currently in the midst of major battle over throw pillows - he hates them, I think they help make a room look like you didn't just say "Okay, put a couch here...and done." I feel a lot of times like I'm living in a grad school apartment, except for the square footage. Men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the little desk but I LOVE the US outline. =]

    ReplyDelete