Friday, August 2, 2013

A Confession + A Video

I quit my job.

Corrections education, while incredibly rewarding, is also draining at times. There's a great deal of staff turnover, which can be frustrating for both students and staff. While I thought I didn't want to contribute to that, a few changes over the past year made me realize it was time to move on.

Initially, I started an online master's program through a university in our region, and I had every intention of continuing to work while pursuing that degree; however, online education just wasn't the same for me. I'm a very auditory learner. I thrive from attending lectures and taking notes and participating in class discussions. And, then, there's this. (It's just an abstract, but you get the gist.) A master's program is a huge investment, and I was left wondering if there would be a return on that investment.

So, I started applying (ever so slowly), to a couple of jobs outside of education. In the weeks before I applied for an event planning position at the company where Craig works, I first heard this podcast where Jason Pittman talks about his reasons for leaving education (it's toward the end) and this podcast where Sarah Brysk Cohen talks about her transition from social work to floral design. I know it sounds silly, but I'm a firm believer in signs and in the fact that sometimes things just work out, so when I was offered the position, I decided it was the right thing to do for me and for my family.

Telling the girls was incredibly difficult. A few of them were upset, but pretty soon one of them piped up, "Hey, can we watch that video one more time before you leave." I love this video. It makes me smile and produces the occasional snort-laugh. It also reminds me that we create our own happiness.

4 comments:

  1. I love that video! NOT COOL ROBERT FROST!

    Also, best of luck as your pursue new paths!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about you a ton and wondering about your radio silence. Hoping to hear more details about the ins-and-outs of it all soon, and happy for you that you're moving in a direction that you feel is good for your family right now. Walking away from a teaching job can be heart-rending, as I know all too well - but sometimes necessary. Good luck with the transition to something new!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you all the best, no matter what path you choose. Sometimes it's just the right time to start something new. May you be at peace, and find something you truly love to do. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete